Sunday 20 April 2014


My dear old Dad passed away the end of March, hence why Iv been away from blogging for quite some time! He was in hospital for several months. we knew it was coming to the end of his days, so we  managed to get him home. He was so much happier to be home. I found it very hard seeing him so frail, as he was so active for his age (91!)
At home he could look out of the window and see the garden and hear the birds. I think this gave him such peace. We had time to reflect and say our goodbyes.
I feel sad, but proud he was my Dad, glad he had such a long life and try and be thankful for the fact he died in the room he was born in , how many can say that?! The happy times he spent with his grandchildren.
I have had such support from my family and friends. My hubbie was amazing, he looked after him like his own Dad and has grieved as if he was too. I think I feel in love with him more for that!

Putting together the flowers, Hymns etc did help.
My dear friend Carry Akroyd kindly let us use one of her prints from the John Clare book of poems she illustrated to use on the order of service sheets. Trying to make the service about 'Thanks giving' for all the thinks he loved, Birds, Spring, flowers really did help.
I took stock of the love of my family and friends , the sunshine, birds singing and for all of these things i say 'Thank you Dad' xxxx




Fred 



Dad holding Poppy for the first time. 








Lots of love xxxx

5 comments:

annie said...

So sorry to hear your news. My mum was 91 when she died peacefully in her sleep. So good your dad was able to die at home with those who loved him around him and good to have lots of memories to look back on. Very best wishes Ann

Streetcomber said...

Lovely words Tracey. xxx

Linda Metcalf said...

A beautiful tribute. Happy he was at home and now at peace. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Country Rabbit said...

sorry to hear of your dad passing, so glad he was home with loved ones~ i can tell he was much loved, thinking of you ;0)

Rosa said...

So sorry to hear of your dad. So nice that he was at home when he died, and with you all. Best wishes.